Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a Mexican dish that is basically a hot diluted guacamole. Be careful not to cook..merely to heat through.
- 4 medium ripe avocados
- 2 limes, juice of
- 3⁄4 cup creme fraiche or 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 fresh red chile, seeded and finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups hot vegetable broth
- 3 1⁄2 ounces corn tortilla chips (not flavored)
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese (cheddar is alright)
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche or 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Preheat your oven or broiler to its highest setting.
- Scoop out the meat of the avacado and mash it with the lime juice.
- Stir in the creme fraiche or sour cream, onion, tomato, garlic, and chili and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Place the serving bowls on an oven tray and slide them into the oven to warm slightly.
- The broth should be hot but not boiling.
- Stir the broth into the avocado mixture, then ladle into the warmed serving bowls.
- To make the topping: place a few tortilla chips on top of each bowl and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Put bowls under broiler (or in oven) just to melt cheese.