Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great flavours in this dish.
- 2 firm, ripe avocados
- 3 firm, ripe bananas
- 12 strawberries, halved
- 1 orange, juice of
- 2 ounces fresh gingerroot, chopped
- 3 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup demerara sugar
- 2 cloves
- Ginger Syrup:Place the ginger, water, sugar and cloves in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 1 hour, until well reduced and syrupy.
- Remove ginger and discard.
- Leave to cool, store in a covered container in fridge.
- Peel the avocado, cut ino cubes and place in a bowl with the bananas and strawberries.
- Pour the orange juice over the ginger syrup and mix gently, using a metal spoon.
- Chill salad in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
This was very refreshing and delicious. I loved the combination of fruit with the avocado and the wonderful, slightly spicy sauce. Note: Be sure to keep the heat at a high enough temperature to maintain a true simmer or it will not reduce properly (I made this mistake at first, and once corrected, it worked out perfectly). I had quite a bit of extra sauce - which I think would go beautifully over vanilla ice cream or even pumpkin pancakes.
This really does taste delicious! Like Heather said, you definitely need to have the temperature up high enough to get it to boil down in the stated amount of time. It took much longer than an hour for mine to boil down even though I kept turning the burner up more and more and even boiled it over once...oops... It wasn't ready when I anticipated, so I was unable to serve it with dinner as planned, although some of us did have some afterwards. I will make this again, but next time, I will start it early in the afternoon so it will be made and chilling before I even begin the rest of dinner. Thank you for sharing this recipe Eve!!!
Served this tonight with Flemish Minx's Beef Bombay Curry (#88540). It was terrific and really different--thanks, Evie!