Recipe by Evie*
Great flavours in this dish.
Top Review by HeatherFeather
This was very refreshing and delicious. I loved the combination of fruit with the avocado and the wonderful, slightly spicy sauce. Note: Be sure to keep the heat at a high enough temperature to maintain a true simmer or it will not reduce properly (I made this mistake at first, and once corrected, it worked out perfectly). I had quite a bit of extra sauce - which I think would go beautifully over vanilla ice cream or even pumpkin pancakes.
- 2 firm, ripe avocados
- 3 firm, ripe bananas
- 12 strawberries, halved
- 1 orange, juice of
- 2 ounces fresh gingerroot, chopped
- 3 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup demerara sugar
- 2 cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Ginger Syrup:Place the ginger, water, sugar and cloves in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 1 hour, until well reduced and syrupy.
- Remove ginger and discard.
- Leave to cool, store in a covered container in fridge.
- Peel the avocado, cut ino cubes and place in a bowl with the bananas and strawberries.
- Pour the orange juice over the ginger syrup and mix gently, using a metal spoon.
- Chill salad in the fridge for about 30 minutes.