Recipe by The Mad Food Scientist
Avocados are a power food full of healthy fats and fiber. This quick bread has a great savory taste. A perfect way to use up a leftover avocado. The pumpkin seeds give it a great smoky taste that is a perfect complement to the bread.
Top Review by barrdbarrbarr
This was just lovely! I halved the sugar because I made it to accompany a chorizo bean soup, and I also used roasted pumpkin seeds. It rose nicely and had great, nutty flavour. Everyone loved it!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large ripe avocado, mashed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup hulled pumpkin seeds (**)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf tin.
- Sift together dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In a second bowl mix together the egg, avocado, sour cream and sugar.
- Stir in flour mixture into wet ingredients, stirring just until wet. Stir in pumpkin seeds.
- Pour mixture into tin and bake 45 minutes to an hour, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean and surface is golden.
- * you can make oat flour by processing oats in a food processor or blender until powdered.
- ** You may use pecans or walnuts instead.