Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a mild flavored pate so don't expect a guacamole spread. The recipe is easy to double for buffets or a party. It is very important to get good tasting and textured avocados for this dish. They should be ripe but firm, I once made this and the avocado was over ripe, the taste was bland and it would not firm up properly. The amounts given are not extremely vital, there is room for a little more or a little less of most ingredients, but in this case I would go easy on the garlic. I serve this with toast, herb or homemade melba toast, and sometimes substitute the nuts with very finely chopped red bell pepper. For a dinner party I put the pate in individual little molds, this amount makes then about 4 servings. If you have some leftover, its nice on bread with some slices tomato.
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed avocados, depending on the size you will need 2 to 3 avocados
- 4 -5 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion, i use only the tops
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- lime juice, i start with about 1 teaspoon
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 pinch chili powder
- salt and pepper
- some more chopped parsley, for serving
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachio nuts (optional)
- Blend or process avocado, cream cheese, onion, parsley, limejuice, garlic and chili powder until smooth.
- Taste for salt and pepper and if more lime juice is needed.
- Line a dish/mold with cling film/ plastic wrap, sprinkle the nuts in the bottom, spoon in the avocado mix.
- Cover and put in the fridge for about 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, unmold and sprinkle with some more parsley.
This was totally fabulous!!! The addition of chili powder really makes a difference in this recipe; I probably used a tad bit more than a pinch :-) I went easy on the garlic, even though Im usually one to use a TON of garlic hehe. Served with mini toasts, homemade bagel crisps, and some light crackers. It was wonnnnnnnnnderful :-) Thank you!!!!
This was really good. I served it with several other spreads such as tuna mousse and vegetarian liver and they were all a hit. I did make this with a cream cheese substitute called "Better then Cream cheese" made by tofutti. I was not very concerned about it holding together in a mold, but it did firm up nicely. We love avacados so this was great and tastier then regular guacamole.
Pets, you obviously know your avocados! This mixture is really fantastic! I made it exactly as directed and it was incredible! I am an avocado lover and your recipe just hit the spot! Great texture, color and excellent flavor, using all ingredients which are easily avaiable which is all that is needed. I will be making this alot! Thanks for sharing this one, Pets'R'us