Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 32 mins
A delicious salad for your next fiesta! (Prep time includes soaking time for the beans.)
- 3 cups dried black beans
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 3 navel oranges
- 2 ripe but firm avocados
- Pick through dried beans, discarding any bad ones.
- Rinse beans.
- Place beans in a large pot.
- Add enough water to cover beans by 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil, cook for two minutes, and then turn off the heat.
- Let beans soak in covered pot for one hour.
- Bring to a boil, covered.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- (Beans should be firm, not mushy.) Drain beans and rinse with cold water.
- Dry beans on paper towel.
- In large bowl, combine olive oil, lime juice, salt, garlic and cilantro.
- Peel and section oranges.
- Cut orange sections into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Stir pieces into olive oil mixture.
- Add beans and stir gently.
- Mix well.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, peel avocados and chop the flesh into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Gently stir into salad.
There's nothing really the matter with this dish - it's simple to prepare, cool for a summer day, the ingredients are all tasty, and it's quite nutritious, especially with a whole grain bread. But somehow it doesn't work together. It's just a bunch of ingredients in a bowl.
This is nice. I like all the ingredients, so expected to be wild about it. I think it's missing something to unite all the flavors. Maybe a different dressing. Thank you for the experience, it was interesting.