Prep 18 mins
Cook 35 mins
For those that do not like avocados, don't tell them it is avocado. Only tell them after they have tasted this cake and love it. Toooooo many people have preconceived bias that they do not like avocados or green things. THIS is GUARANTEED to change their thinking!!! HINT: To quickly and effortlessly toast coconut, spray a medium non stick skillet over medium heat with no stick cooking spray. Continually toss coconut around until a golden brown color. Let cool completely.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large ripe avocados, diced (about 1 3/4 cup 2 cups)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large limes, juiced and the zest of one lime (about 1/3 cup)
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 small limes, juiced and the zest of one lime (about 1/4 cup)
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut, toasted
- 2⁄3 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- HEAT oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray two (8-inch) round cake pans with no stick baking spray; set aside.
- SIFT flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl; set aside.
- BEAT avocados, sugar, lime juice and zest in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium high speed for 4 minutes or until mixture is fairly smooth and fluffy. Add water and then add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- REDUCE mixer speed to low and add flour mixture. Mix until flour is incorporated into avocado mixture. Divide batter equally between the two prepared pans and spread evenly.
- BAKE on the middle rack of oven for 32 to 35 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center of each cake layer comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- BEAT cream cheese, lime juice and zest in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium high speed for 3 minutes, or until smooth. Add confectioners sugar and salt, beating until smooth.
- SPREAD icing between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish each layer and on top and sides with half the toasted coconut and macadamia nuts.