Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
Now this is different. I got the original recipe from About.com. The original recipe calls for 3 cups of powdered sugar which is a lot, so I have changed some of the ingredients to suit my tastes. I dropped the amount down to two cups of sugar instead. It should still work. Also since I live at 5,000 feet less sugar is better. These brownies are rich and dairy-free. You can also substitute 1/2 cup apple sauce for the margarine if you want this to be lower in fat. And if you want less carbs, you can also replace the sugars with a sugar substitute.
Top Review by Mishmish
This dish sounded yummy, however even with "only" two cups of sugar it ended up waaaaaaaaay too sweet. I hate to throw food away, so I'll be experimenting with adding some more avocado and making two dishes out of one to cut down on the sweetness. I personally think 1 cup of sugar would be plenty for this recipe and perhaps use more avocado instead. I couldn't taste the avocado at all in this dish.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1⁄2 cup Earth Balance margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 cup date sugar
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, melt the margarine over low heat.
- Once the margarine is melted, puree the avocado in a food processor or blend until its totally smooth. Make sure no chunks remain.
- Put the avocado, vanilla and coco into the saucepan. Then add the sugar a little at a time.
- Once the sugar is all added the mixture should thicken up. Then add the nuts if using.
- Transfer this to a loaf pan and refrigerate until firm.
- It has to set up for quite a while other wise you won't be able to cut it into squares.
- Bon Appetit!