I love Avocados and look forward to them every summer. This recipe began life as a filling for stuffed tomatoes, but it's also yummy as a sandwich spread or dip. (or by the spoonful!)
- Fry bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Set aside. (may use 3 T *real* bacon bits from a package if desired).
- Meanwhile, peel and mash the avocadoes in a medium size bowl.
- Add lemon juice, onion, green pepper and garlic.
- Stir until well blended.
- Add crumbled bacon.
- Mix well and taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate. (be sure to place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the dip so it doesn't turn dark).
Fantastic spread! I used it on wholegrain wheat bread with sliced rotisserie chicken breast, and a slice of tomato. I used a diced jalapeno instead of green pepper. Great flavor. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
This avocado recipe has a wonderful flavor when eaten directly from the bowl. Avocado and bacon work so well together. I used the packaged "real bacon pieces" and I should have known better. They were fatty and chewy. I highly recommend using your own crispy fried bacon instead. DH and I tried it with corn tortilla chips, but the flavor of the chips overpowered all but the avocado flavor. I am going to use the remainder on a turkey and swiss sandwich for lunch tomorrow. I will make this again using real bacon! Thanks for a good recipe Ma. Made for Fall PAC 08.