Top Review by Geema
This recipe is delicious made with the scallops and some shrimp in place of the mussels. I filled an avocado half with the mixture and then sprinkled some peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes on top as well as some cilantro. It was beautiful. I did have quite a bit of trouble getting the mayonnaise to have a pleasant taste. It seemed a little "bitter" to me and I am guessing that my olive oil was too strong, or perhaps it was the garlic. I just kept adding a splash of vinegar, some mustard and a pinch of sugar, but it never progressed beyond acceptable. The texture was excellent though, and the presentation wonderful.
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 lb mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 lb small scallop
- 3 medium avocados, halved and peeled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- curly lettuce leaf, for garnish
- minced cilantro or parsley, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- For mayonnaise.
- Combine all ingredients except oil in blender or processor; blend 1 minute.
- With machine running, add oil in a thin, steady stream; continue processing until mixture is thick (can be prepared up to 3 days ahead).
- Bring wine and ½ cup water to boil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add mussels.
- Cover and cook until mussels just open, about 4 minutes.
- Remove mussels from pan.
- Cool slightly.
- Remove mussels from shells; chill.
- Combine remaining 1 cup water, lemon juice and scallops in medium saucepan; bring to boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and refrigerate until well-chilled.
- Combine mussels and scallops in bowl.
- Stir in ¾ cup mayonnaise.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 12 hours (can be prepared 1 day ahead).
- Rub peeled avocado halves with 2 tbsp lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Line 6 plates with lettuce leaves; place avocado, cut side up, on each.
- Spoon scallop/mussel mixture into avocados, mounding slightly in center.
- Or, slice avocados, fanning on top of lettuce; divide scallop mixture among plates.
- Sprinkle with parsley.