Recipe by Maggie's Cooking
I got this recipe from Fitnessmagazine, this recipe was written by Deena Kastor. I did not make it the way she wrote the recipie, we happen to like full fat cheese, and fresh herbs. We also went for light citrus flavored beer, and olive oil rather than the canola oil, as the olive oil provides a better taste.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 8 ripe avocados, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup cilantro leaf, roughly chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 lime, juice of
- 20 corn tortillas
- 2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the sauce, heat oil is a sauce pan. Add onion; sauté 5 min, add garlic, sugar, cumin, fresh oregano and sauté 5 more minute Add beer, tomatoes, and broth, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minute Add vinegar.
- Heat oven to 400°F
- For the filling, chop avocados in to 1" cubs (no need to be exact), toss with the cilantro, salt, onion, jalapeno pepper and lime juice. Spread 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish. Dip tortillas in remaining sauce, spoon 3 tbls of filling into each; roll up and arrange in dish. Pour sauce over rolled up tortillas, sprinkle with cheese and bake covered for 25min. Uncover and bake an additional 5 min, let rest, then serve. For people who are not into spicy food, serve with a dollop of sour cream, or add chicken to make it a more well- rounded meal.
- Cooking time may vary depending on use of a convection oven or a standard oven.