Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Fresh avocado slices and a special creamy sauce really dress up this classic egg dish.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated romano cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 6 eggs
- 6 slices Canadian bacon, warmed
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 3 English muffins, split and toasted
- In a large saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the cheeses and seasonings. Cook and stir until cheese is melted; keep warm.
- Place 2-3 inches of water in a large skillet with high sides; add vinegar. bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently.
- Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer; holding the cup close to the surface of the water, slip each egg into water. Cook, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken (but are not hard), about 4 minutes.
- Place Canadian bacon and avocado on each muffin half. With a slotted spoon, lift each egg out of the water and place over avocado.
- Top with cheese sauce.
Oh Yummy!!! I didn't have any coriander and I couldn't find the ground mustard to save my life...and my "boys" will NOT eat avocado (but I do! YUM)...but other than that, I didn't change anything! :) This was such a huge hit, I'm still stunned. DH is easy to please...but DS (7 yo) is picky at best...and not too into eggs. Well...let me tell you... he INHALED this. Then asked for seconds and asked if we could have it again for breakfast the next day. He talked about Mom's Special Cheese Sauce all day long. Hehehe. Thanks for a definate keeper!
Comfort food at its best. Eggs benedict is good and avocado is great and puts this over the top of the hill of eggs benedict recipes. very good