Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
When I was a kid, my mom would make open faced tuna salad, tomato with a slice of American cheese broiled on an English muffin. Since I didn't like tuna salad or tomatoes, she always made me an egg salad & cheese. My adult taste buds have evolved, and I modified the recipe for dinner tonight, and was thrilled with the result.
- 2 eggs, hard boiled
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 dash salt
- 1 hamburger bun, sliced in half (or English muffin)
- 1⁄3 avocado
- 3 tablespoons mozzarella cheese, shredded
- To hard boil eggs, place eggs in pot of water with the water level just slightly above the eggs. Bring water to a boil and boil for 12 minutes.
- Drain water from pot, and refill with cold water. Crack eggs by lightly tapping on the side of the sink and peel under running cold water.
- Use egg slicer to make egg slices, then turn the slices 90 degrees and slice again, mincing the eggs. If you don't have an egg slicer, you can mash with a fork.
- Combine eggs with just enough mayonnaise to get all of the eggs wet. Adjust the mayonnaise amount as needed.
- Add dash of salt to eggs and mix.
- At this point, the egg salad can be refrigerated in a sealed carton to be used for the sandwich later, or the sandwich can be made with the warm egg salad.
- To assemble, place half of the egg salad on each half of the hamburger bun or English muffin.
- Slice the avocado into small slices and place on top of egg salad.
- Cover with cheese.
- Place open faced sandwiches on a pie plate or small low sided pan.
- Broil on top rack in the oven for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese melts and the edges of the bread are lightly browned. Watch it carefully so that the bread does not burn.
- NOTE: The egg salad is best with regular mayo, not light mayo. If you are going to eat the egg salad cold instead of broiling it, the taste is much better the day after making it. Seal in a carton and refrigerate overnight for the best flavor.
Thank you for giving the DM and I a great lunch. I doubled the recipe but only used about 1 1/2 tablespoon of mayo for the 4 eggs but nearly 3/4 of an avocado and 6 to 8 tablespoons of pregrated light mozzarella. Thank you Karen67, made for Potluck Tag game.
This was so good. I made it for breakfast! I used only one egg (since it's just me) and I made it on toast. I can see myself making this several times a week! :)
Very good and dead-easy to make. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the hamburger bun - just not enough substance to hold up to a tasty sandwich. I think the English muffin (or even a bagel) would be a much better way to go.