1/1 Photo of Avocado & Egg Salad Open Faced Sandwich
When I was a kid, my mom would make open faced tuna salad, tomato with a slice of American cheese broiled on an English muffin. Since I didn't like tuna salad or tomatoes, she always made me an egg salad & cheese. My adult taste buds have evolved, and I modified the recipe for dinner tonight, and was thrilled with the result.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To hard boil eggs, place eggs in pot of water with the water level just slightly above the eggs. Bring water to a boil and boil for 12 minutes.
- 2Drain water from pot, and refill with cold water. Crack eggs by lightly tapping on the side of the sink and peel under running cold water.
- 3Use egg slicer to make egg slices, then turn the slices 90 degrees and slice again, mincing the eggs. If you don't have an egg slicer, you can mash with a fork.
- 4Combine eggs with just enough mayonnaise to get all of the eggs wet. Adjust the mayonnaise amount as needed.
- 5Add dash of salt to eggs and mix.
- 6At this point, the egg salad can be refrigerated in a sealed carton to be used for the sandwich later, or the sandwich can be made with the warm egg salad.
- 7To assemble, place half of the egg salad on each half of the hamburger bun or English muffin.
- 8Slice the avocado into small slices and place on top of egg salad.
- 9Cover with cheese.
- 10Place open faced sandwiches on a pie plate or small low sided pan.
- 11Broil on top rack in the oven for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese melts and the edges of the bread are lightly browned. Watch it carefully so that the bread does not burn.
- 12NOTE: The egg salad is best with regular mayo, not light mayo. If you are going to eat the egg salad cold instead of broiling it, the taste is much better the day after making it. Seal in a carton and refrigerate overnight for the best flavor.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Avocado & Egg Salad Open Faced Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 551.7
- Calories from Fat 325
- Total Fat 36.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 447.2 mg
- Sodium 846.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 22.9 g