Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
Recipe courtesy Brent Wertz, Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz, NY.
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 113.39 g milk
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 4.92 ml cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, cut in 1/2 inch slices
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 170.09 g monterey jack cheese
Plum tomato jam
- 453.59 g cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 56.69 g sugar
- 170.09 g aged balsamic vinegar
- 14.79 ml lime juice
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium size bowl combine the eggs, milk, garlic, cumin, and salt and pepper, and lightly beat.
- Dip the bread slices in the egg mixture covering both sides.
- In a baking dish lightly coated with olive oil, place a layer of bread slices on the bottom.
- Arrange a layer of avocado slices in a fan design on top of the bread.
- Cover with a layer of Monterey Jack.
- Place another layer of the dipped bread slices over the cheese and avocados.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until bread is nicely browned.
- To make the tomato jam, saute the tomatoes and sugar in a pan until liquid reduces and becomes thick.
- In a medium size pot, reduce the vinegar until slightly thickened.
- To serve, remove the avocado cristo from baking dish and cut into wedges.
- Arrange wedges on each plate with the plum tomato jam and a drizzle of the balsamic reduction.
- Garnish plate with lime juice, chopped cilantro, and a slice of avocado.
I lightened it up quite a bit. I used egg whites and super thin slices of sourdough for the cristo part. I used stevia instead of sugar and heirloom tomato instead of the cherry tomatoes in the jam. I am out of cilantro but that would have been AMAZING. I love it. I just reduced the balsamic vinegar with the tomatoes to save on calories. The glaze would have been really pretty, I just didn't want to dirty up more pans. To lighten it up further, I used barely any cheese and 1/8 of an avocado. DELICIOUS!!! I took a lot of liberties but holy moly is this so good. The flavor combo is out of this world.
Yum! The avocado cristo was good, but with the addition of the cherry tomato jam and the balsamic reduction, it reached new heights! Sprinkled with cilantro and lemon juice, I was in heaven! Thanks so much for posting!