Recipe by DeSouter
Recipe courtesy Brent Wertz, Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz, NY.
Top Review by College Girl
I lightened it up quite a bit. I used egg whites and super thin slices of sourdough for the cristo part. I used stevia instead of sugar and heirloom tomato instead of the cherry tomatoes in the jam. I am out of cilantro but that would have been AMAZING. I love it. I just reduced the balsamic vinegar with the tomatoes to save on calories. The glaze would have been really pretty, I just didn't want to dirty up more pans. To lighten it up further, I used barely any cheese and 1/8 of an avocado. DELICIOUS!!! I took a lot of liberties but holy moly is this so good. The flavor combo is out of this world.
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 113.39 g milk
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 4.92 ml cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, cut in 1/2 inch slices
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 170.09 g monterey jack cheese
Plum tomato jam
- 453.59 g cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 56.69 g sugar
- 170.09 g aged balsamic vinegar
- 14.79 ml lime juice
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium size bowl combine the eggs, milk, garlic, cumin, and salt and pepper, and lightly beat.
- Dip the bread slices in the egg mixture covering both sides.
- In a baking dish lightly coated with olive oil, place a layer of bread slices on the bottom.
- Arrange a layer of avocado slices in a fan design on top of the bread.
- Cover with a layer of Monterey Jack.
- Place another layer of the dipped bread slices over the cheese and avocados.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until bread is nicely browned.
- To make the tomato jam, saute the tomatoes and sugar in a pan until liquid reduces and becomes thick.
- In a medium size pot, reduce the vinegar until slightly thickened.
- To serve, remove the avocado cristo from baking dish and cut into wedges.
- Arrange wedges on each plate with the plum tomato jam and a drizzle of the balsamic reduction.
- Garnish plate with lime juice, chopped cilantro, and a slice of avocado.