1/1 Photo of Avocado Cristo With Cherry Tomato Jam and Balsamic Reduction
1 hr 5 mins
Recipe courtesy Brent Wertz, Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz, NY.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 ounces milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, cut in 1/2 inch slices
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 6 ounces monterey jack cheese
Plum tomato jam
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2In a medium size bowl combine the eggs, milk, garlic, cumin, and salt and pepper, and lightly beat.
- 3Dip the bread slices in the egg mixture covering both sides.
- 4In a baking dish lightly coated with olive oil, place a layer of bread slices on the bottom.
- 5Arrange a layer of avocado slices in a fan design on top of the bread.
- 6Cover with a layer of Monterey Jack.
- 7Place another layer of the dipped bread slices over the cheese and avocados.
- 8Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until bread is nicely browned.
- 9To make the tomato jam, saute the tomatoes and sugar in a pan until liquid reduces and becomes thick.
- 10In a medium size pot, reduce the vinegar until slightly thickened.
- 11To serve, remove the avocado cristo from baking dish and cut into wedges.
- 12Arrange wedges on each plate with the plum tomato jam and a drizzle of the balsamic reduction.
- 13Garnish plate with lime juice, chopped cilantro, and a slice of avocado.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Avocado Cristo With Cherry Tomato Jam and Balsamic Reduction
Serving Size: 1 (510 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1431.5
- Calories from Fat 463
- Total Fat 51.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 416.4 mg
- Sodium 1743.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 186.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.9 g
- Sugars 31.7 g
- Protein 59.2 g