Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This sandwich is modeled after a cafeteria sandwich I had years ago, made with whole wheat bread, cream cheese, avocados, cayenne, and alfalfa sprouts. I've added the crusty bread, olives and onion. I like that it is layered so you get lots of different flavors and textures from top to bottom, and it holds together best if you use thick-sliced, hefty bread and let it rest and chill a while. The variations are endless -- add garlic or chives or herbs to the cream cheese; mirror-image the ingredients for a fatter sandwich; add bacon or cheese; for a spicier bite substitute radish sprouts for some of the alfalfa sprouts, etc.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread (do not use soft bread, lightly toasted if desired or needed to give it a bit of "substance")
- 4 -8 tablespoons cream cheese (sliced or brought to room temp until spreadable)
- 1⁄2 avocado, sliced lengthwise in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch coarse salt
- 1 pinch lemon pepper (substitute coarse black pepper and a pinch of fine lemon zest)
- 6 black olives, sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup alfalfa sprout (approximately one handful)
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 slice onion (optional)
- Spread both slices of bread with cream cheese or cover with cream cheese slices.
- Slice the avocado in the half shell, lengthwise, and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Fan the avocado slices onto one slice of bread, and sprinkle with salt, lemon pepper, and (optional) black olive slices.
- Top with alfalfa sprouts, press down slightly, sprinkle with cayenne, and (optional) onion slice.
- Top with remaining bread slice and press down slightly, then wrap tightly and keep chilled.
Usually make avocado, cream cheese, and sprouts and leave it at that but the addition of the olives (I used calamata) and onion was great. I left out the lemon pepper, just 'cause I forgot. I made this on weight watcher's bread and also on ww bagels for DH lunch. He loved it, I'll be sending this in his lunch box again next week. Thanks for posting.