Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Creamy avocado dressing for salads, pasta, etc.
- 1 medium firm-ripe avocado, peeled, seeded and cubed (tested with Haas)
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons grated sweet onions
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use. (The dressing can be made up to 4 hours in advance.).
I made this for Guadalupe House on 6/7/11 and it got great reviews! I made a big salad with spinach, Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, celery and onion.
I can see why this made it into a best of 2009 cookbook. Super creamy and delicious. It was great on salad and as a dip for baked french fries and crudite. I used low fat buttermilk, nonfat sour cream, green onions and half the salt. I don't think having it over pasta would be my thing, but I could see a lot of other applications for it. It is super!
An avocado lover's dream dressing! We had some avocados that were becoming overly ripe so I am so very glad I found this recipe. It was so very rich and creamy, and the flavors were wonderful. Because it was so thick, I served it over a very sturdy lettuce - iceberg - and diced tomatoes. Yum!! Dh loved it too. I'll bet this would be great over citrus sections and I'll have to try it with pasta as you suggested. I'll keep this one handy. Thanks grocery girl!