Recipe by Denibates
This is a great-tasting summer side-dish for barbecues. It's pretty, too!
Top Review by BerrySweet
Excellent! The kind of creamy salad you'd find at the deli of a gourmet grocer. Left out the bacon bits to make it vegetarian. My only complaint is that 1 teaspoon of ground red pepper (cayenne) is way too much for the delicate flavors of these veggies. It was too spicy and we normally like spicy. Next time I'll use only 1/2 teaspoon.
- 3 large cucumbers
- 2 avocados
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 small onion
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- chopped almonds (optional)
- cherry tomatoes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prep time includes chilling.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and chop cucumbers. Sprinkle with sea salt and let stand 25 minutes. Drain well.
- Peel and chop avocados. Toss with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Chop onion and asparagus into small pieces, discarding the tough ends of the asparagus.
- Toss with olive oil and roast in the oven for 20 minutes, or until onions are transparent.
- Allow asparagus and onion to cool. Drain on a paper towel.
- Mix asparagus, onion, cucumber, and avocado.
- Add fresh dill, sour cream, bacon bits, and red pepper. (Seasoning can be increased or reduced according to taste.).
- Garnish with fresh dill and chopped almonds.
- Chill for one hour.