Recipe by bluemoon downunder
Apparently the high nutritional value of avocados was well known by the Aztecs and the Incas. In the twenty-first century, it’s often what we put with avocado that makes our recipes somewhat less than healthy. This is a super-healthy avocado dip - with tofu, cider vinegar, yoghurt and spring onions – which loses none of the appeal of an avocado dip although it is packed with ingredients so healthy that even your cardiologist will be asking you for the recipe! Serve with crisp raw vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower florets and sticks of celery, carrots and zucchini. Or, if you feel that the dip is healthy enough to make some small dietary sins permissible, serve with your favourite crackers. Adapted from the holistic.com website.
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
Very tasty indeed! I used a soft tofu, as well as the yogurt and this was wonderful. I didn't add the kelp powder, but instead I put a bit of capsicum and a couple of diced cherry tomatoes. The garlic was terrific used here and the vinegar really gave it a kick. I halved this recipe, only using one avocado, 1/4 cup silken tofu, 1 tablespoon of yogurt. Really quite delicious as we served with some baked tortilla chips. Next time, I might add some hot sauce as I love my foods really spicy, but certainly no need to use that here. I didn't blend this in the processor as we were hungry, and just mixed with my spoon for a rustic look. Great! Thank you bluemoon downunder!
- 1 3⁄4 large avocados, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups tofu, crumbled (firm or soft)
- 3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kelp powder (optional)
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cherry tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 avocado, sliced, for garnish (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, if dip is not serving immediately (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Process the avocado and tofu in a blender or food processor.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, yoghurt, garlic and kelp to the avocado and tofu mixture.
- Blend until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium-sized bowl and fold in the sliced spring onions and finely chopped tomato.
- Place the mixture in a serving bowl.
- If not serving immediately, drizzle 1 teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil over the dip to prevent discolouring, unless of course you are using a variety of avocado (such as Shepard in Australia) that does not discolour.
- Add the avocado slices for garnish, if using, and serve.