Recipe by Manami
We had this at Amalia & Jorge's housewarming and she wanted to make something special for me and of course the other guests - but she made this all by heself - mind you she is just learning English and cooking terminology! It was delicious and at the table where this was served - that is where you could find me and my Jazzy scooter. This is an Emeril Lagasse recipe. She served it with my Seasoned Party Pitas - it was really lovely.
- 8 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup minced scallion
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into thin slices
- 5 ounces salmon roe
- toasted croutons or crackers or seasoned party pita bread, for dipping
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 4-cup round mold with plastic wrap.
- Lay about 1/3 of the salmon over the plastic wrap, overlapping each slice slightly and hanging the ends over the edge, to cover the mold.
- Chop the remaining salmon into 1/2-inch pieces and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and sour cream until creamy and well combined.
- Add the hot pepper sauce and salt and stir well. In a small saucepan, heat the lemon juice over very low heat.
- Pour into a 1/2-cup ramekin and sprinkle with the gelatin, stirring until the gelatin is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and stir into the cream cheese mixture.
- Fold in the chopped smoked salmon and scallions.
- Spoon 1/3 of the mousse into the mold, top with a layer of avocado slices, then gently spread with 1/2 the salmon roe.
- Spread 1/3 of the mousse on top of the roe, and top with the remaining avocado slices and roe.
- Spread the remaining mousse over the top and fold the overhanging salmon strips over to completely enclose the mousse.
- Cover with the plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 3 hours.
- To unmold, place the mold in a bowl of warm water for 10 seconds.
- Unwrap the plastic from the bottom of the mold and invert the mold onto a serving plate.
- Gently shake to release the mold and unwrap completely.
- Serve with toasted croutons or crackers or seasoned party pitas, for dipping.