We had this at Amalia & Jorge's housewarming and she wanted to make something special for me and of course the other guests - but she made this all by heself - mind you she is just learning English and cooking terminology! It was delicious and at the table where this was served - that is where you could find me and my Jazzy scooter. This is an Emeril Lagasse recipe. She served it with my Seasoned Party Pitas - it was really lovely.
My Private Note
Hors d' ...
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup minced scallion
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into thin slices
- 5 ounces salmon roe
- toasted croutons or crackers or seasoned party pita bread, for dipping
- 1Line a 4-cup round mold with plastic wrap.
- 2Lay about 1/3 of the salmon over the plastic wrap, overlapping each slice slightly and hanging the ends over the edge, to cover the mold.
- 3Chop the remaining salmon into 1/2-inch pieces and set aside.
- 4In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and sour cream until creamy and well combined.
- 5Add the hot pepper sauce and salt and stir well. In a small saucepan, heat the lemon juice over very low heat.
- 6Pour into a 1/2-cup ramekin and sprinkle with the gelatin, stirring until the gelatin is dissolved.
- 7Remove from the heat and stir into the cream cheese mixture.
- 8Fold in the chopped smoked salmon and scallions.
- 9Spoon 1/3 of the mousse into the mold, top with a layer of avocado slices, then gently spread with 1/2 the salmon roe.
- 10Spread 1/3 of the mousse on top of the roe, and top with the remaining avocado slices and roe.
- 11Spread the remaining mousse over the top and fold the overhanging salmon strips over to completely enclose the mousse.
- 12Cover with the plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 3 hours.
- 13To unmold, place the mold in a bowl of warm water for 10 seconds.
- 14Unwrap the plastic from the bottom of the mold and invert the mold onto a serving plate.
- 15Gently shake to release the mold and unwrap completely.
- 16Serve with toasted croutons or crackers or seasoned party pitas, for dipping.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Avocado and Smoked Salmon Mousse
Serving Size: 1 (1169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 109.0
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 46.8 mg
- Sodium 177.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 5.3 g