We had this at Amalia & Jorge's housewarming and she wanted to make something special for me and of course the other guests - but she made this all by heself - mind you she is just learning English and cooking terminology! It was delicious and at the table where this was served - that is where you could find me and my Jazzy scooter. This is an Emeril Lagasse recipe. She served it with my Seasoned Party Pitas - it was really lovely.
My Private Note
Hors d' ...
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup minced scallion
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into thin slices
- 5 ounces salmon roe
- toasted croutons or crackers or seasoned party pita bread, for dipping
- 1Line a 4-cup round mold with plastic wrap.
- 2Lay about 1/3 of the salmon over the plastic wrap, overlapping each slice slightly and hanging the ends over the edge, to cover the mold.
- 3Chop the remaining salmon into 1/2-inch pieces and set aside.
- 4In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and sour cream until creamy and well combined.
- 5Add the hot pepper sauce and salt and stir well. In a small saucepan, heat the lemon juice over very low heat.
- 6Pour into a 1/2-cup ramekin and sprinkle with the gelatin, stirring until the gelatin is dissolved.
- 7Remove from the heat and stir into the cream cheese mixture.
- 8Fold in the chopped smoked salmon and scallions.
- 9Spoon 1/3 of the mousse into the mold, top with a layer of avocado slices, then gently spread with 1/2 the salmon roe.
- 10Spread 1/3 of the mousse on top of the roe, and top with the remaining avocado slices and roe.
- 11Spread the remaining mousse over the top and fold the overhanging salmon strips over to completely enclose the mousse.
- 12Cover with the plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 3 hours.
- 13To unmold, place the mold in a bowl of warm water for 10 seconds.
- 14Unwrap the plastic from the bottom of the mold and invert the mold onto a serving plate.
- 15Gently shake to release the mold and unwrap completely.
- 16Serve with toasted croutons or crackers or seasoned party pitas, for dipping.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Avocado and Smoked Salmon Mousse
Serving Size: 1 (1169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 109.0
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 46.8 mg
- Sodium 177.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 5.3 g