Recipe by English_Rose
A luxurious twist to that classic combination of avocado and shrimp, creating a rich and delicious appetizer.
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon French mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- 7 ounces cooked shrimp, peeled, drained and patted dry
- 2 avocados, ripe
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 ounces freshly grated gruyere cheese
For the sauce
- 1 cup milk, full fat
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 ounces flour
- 1 pinch salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- First make the sauce. Place the milk, butter and flour in a pan.
- Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, cook for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Mix the brandy into 1 cup of the freshly made white sauce (reserving the remainder for other dishes), along with the nutmeg, paprika, mustard and chives.
- Mix the shrimp with just enough of the flavoured white sauce to bind them together.
- Cut the avocadoes in half, remove the stones and squeeze over a little lemon juice.
- Preheat the grill until very hot. Pile the shrimp mix into the avocado halves, sprinkle over the Gruyere and flash under the preheated hot broiler to glaze. Serve at once, garnished with curly parsley.