Recipe by auntchelle
This is one of my favourite salads. I mainly like to make it up in Asian soup spoons so you have little mouthful serves as hors d'ouvres. Oranges and dressing can be prepared in advance. Walnuts can be used if preferred.
Top Review by Enjolinfam
This was a really nice salad. One thing I would do differently next time though is to use canned mandarins only because I like the sweet taste in the salad and I had some oranges that were really difficult to peel the skins off of. Still, if you prefer it fresh and don't mind the time it is still a great salad as is. Thanks! Made for Aussie/Kiwi swap #18.
- 2 oranges
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 50 g pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Segment the oranges by slicing off the tops and bottoms. Work around the orange using a sharp knife to cut downwards, to remove the peel and pith. Once peeled, hold in one hand and carefully cut between membranes to remove the segments. (If possible collect the juices for the dressing.).
- Cut avocados in halves and remove stones. Remove skin and then slice avocado. Use lemon juice to coat avocado to prevent browning.
- Arrange the orange and avocado on small plates, as desired, decorating with the pecans. Drizzle with the dressing.
- Dressing: combine all dressing ingredients in a screw top jar. Shake to combine. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.