Recipe by KLHquilts
Given to me by a society matron who used this as her "presentation salad" at luncheons. I recommend cutting back on the oil a bit.
Top Review by NurseJaney
Prepared this ahead for company of 6. Did use just 1/2 cup salad oil, and combined all ingredients as directed. We served family style, with lettuce in one bowl and fruit to follow, with dressing. It was very tasty and most appropriate with a VERY spicy shrimp dish. However, Next time, I would serve as I prefer, by tossing greens with the dressing before topping with fruit mixture. Also, I think white balsamic wine vinegar would help carry the fruit flavors better. Thanks for posting,KLHquilts.
- 1⁄2 cup wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup salad oil
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice (fresh is best)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mandarin oranges
- 2 small purple onions
- 2 avocados
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 1 head lettuce (any leaf-type lettuce)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make dressing: Combine vinegar, oil, orange juice, mustard, orange peel, lemon juice, sugar, and salt.
- Drain mandarin oranges.
- Slice onions into very thin slices.
- Combine mandarin oranges, sliced avocados and onion rings.
- Cover orange/avocado/onion mixture with dressing and refrigerate.
- Immediately before serving, break up lettuce and spoon orange/avocado mixture over lettuce.