Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
Hardly qualifies as a recipe it’s so simple, but its charm as a breakfast, brunch or lunch dish is in its simplicity, in the contrasting tastes and textures of the avocado, lime and bacon, and in the contrast between the coolness of the first two ingredients and the warmth of the bacon. I’m posting this recipe so that those who have never tried it can do so and to remind those – like me – who haven’t made it for a while but know how delicious it is, to make it again. This version of the recipe serves the avocado and bacon on toast. Avocado and bacon is equally delicious in untoasted, really fresh crusty bread - or in whatever is your favourite bread. I came across this particular version of it today in a magazine, the April edition of “Super Food Ideas”. With its combination of avocado and lime juice, this recipe echoes Mexican dishes, but without the heat!
- Halve, deseed and peel the avocados.
- Slice lengthways into 1 cm thick slices.
- Place in a large bowl, drizzle with lime juice and season with pepper and salt.
- Toss gently to coat with the lime juice. Set aside for ten minutes.
- Preheat the grill on a medium-high heat.
- Cut bacon rashers in half, unless your have bought middle rashers in which case they are probably just the right size.
- Place the bacon on the grill in a single layer.
- Grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until the bacon is beginning to crisp.
- Drain on the bacon paper towels.
- Grill the bread for one to two minutes on each side or until golden and toasted. (optional) Some people may want their bread untoasted.
- Spread lightly with butter. (optional).
- Place toast on plates.
- Top with avocado, bacon and a sprig of parsley.
Well slap my thigh and call me Sheila!!! this was OMG!!! At first I wasn't sure I was going to like it but the combination of the bacon with the avocado was just wonderful! I aded a little italian influence to the mix by using a Ciabatta roll but that just made it for me! I can't recommend this enough! I made this in conjunction with the Aussie part of the ZWT 5 for the Chow Hounds. What can I say but try it mate!
Very nice perfect tasting toast sensation. I followed this exactly, I had a beautiful avocado, hickory flavored bacon, and pumpernickel toasted in the toaster. I used some fresh butter, and confess to adding some thinly sliced onion to the top. Oh yummy, just perfect for a hard-working farm day. Thank you bluemoon! Made for MsSally's Recipe Thank you's Fall 2008
I enjoyed this for a light supper. I too mashed the avocado, and used bacon bits, had on an English muffin. Thanks!