Recipe by twissis
This is recipe #4 from *Microwave Cooking* by Lorna Rhodes & another that gets high marks from me because of my particular fondness for its ingredients & versatility. I modified the recipe slightly w/the addition of Old Bay as I favor using it w/crabmeat. This recipe works well 2 ways: 1) As a starter or a salad course atop a bed of lettuce to serve 8 … or … 2) As a main entrée for a luncheon or dinner meal to serve 4. *Enjoy* !
Top Review by Brenda.
Got 15 minutes? That's all it took to put this delicious dish on the lunch table today. I couldn't believe how beautifully this came together in the microwave. I served as suggested, but had a thought. Maybe next time (and there will be a next time) I will cube the avocado, layer in the bottom of my dish, cover with the creamy thermidor sauce, microwave and serve over toasted brown bread. Thanks for a lovely, quick lunch. Nick's Mom
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 5 ounces milk
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (more to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 8 ounces crabmeat (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 2 large avocados (halved & stones removed)
- 4 teaspoons parmesan cheese (grated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place butter in a bowl & microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds. Stir in flour & return to the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Pour milk into a sml jug or lrg coffee mug & heat on HIGH for 1 minute. Then gradually blend heated milk into butter/flour mixture. Cook on HIGH for 2 minutes, whisking every 30 seconds.
- Add next 5 ingredients (tomato puree thru salt & pepper) to the sauce & stir in the crabmeat.
- Sprinkle avocado flesh w/remaining lemon juice. Pile crabmeat filling into avocado halves & sprinkle w/Parmesan cheese.
- Place in a shallow dish & cook on HIGH for 3 minutes. Serve hot w/brown bread & butter.