Recipe by Jen T
This is nice for an easy brunch/lunch/supper dish. I made these up when I had a couple of avocados that needed using and some uncooked chicken left over from making another dish. You can also use some crushed garlic in with the avocado and also top with sliced tomato before topping with the cheese. I have also made this with some shredded chicken from the deli and this works well too. If your avocado is still firm just use slices instead of mashing.
- 1 -2 avocado
- 1 lemon (cut in half)
- 4 chicken tenders or 1 chicken breast
- 4 slices whole wheat bread (or whatever you prefer)
- 1 cup grated cheese (I use Edam)
- garlic pepper seasoning
- fresh ground black pepper
- crushed garlic (optional)
- tomatoes, slices (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice chicken breast if using horizontally through middle.
- Place raw chicken on plate and squeeze over the juice from 1/2 a lemon.
- Sprinkle with the garlic pepper and turn to coat.
- Leave to marinate for a few mins then drain and fry in a little oil until golden brown on each side.
- Remove from pan and slice.
- Place avocado into a bowl and mash (if soft) or slice.
- Add juice of other 1/2 of lemon, salt, crushed garlic (if using)and freshly ground black pepper and mix well.
- Place the four slices of bread on a baking paper lined tray and place in hot oven and grill/broil for a few mins until lightly browned.
- Remove tray from oven, turn bread slices over and spread right to the edges with the mashed or sliced avocado.
- Top with the chopped chicken, sliced tomatoes (if using) and cover with grated cheese and return to oven and grill/broil until cheese melts.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.