Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Avocado takes the place of mayonnaise in this delicious sandwich, making it healthier. For just my husband and myself I made this using two large Italian sandwich rolls but I'm posting the recipe the way I found it in our neighborhood Pioneer Press newspaper. The cilantro was added by me.
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pinch ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 lb flank steak
- 14 inches Italian bread
- 1 1⁄2 cups torn salad greens
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- Mash the avocado with a fork; stir in lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and red pepper. Set aside.
- Combine cumin, chili powder and remaining salt. Rub seasoning mix over both sides of steak. Grill or broil until done as desired, about 5 minutes on each side for medium.
- Remove meat to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes; cut diagonally in thin slices.
- Cut bread horizontally almost through. Spread avocado on top half; layer greens, beef and tomato on bottom then sprinkle with chopped cilantro (if desired). Close the sandwich and cut crosswise into 4 pieces.
This was awesome!