Recipe by Jenny Morris aka Giggling Gourmet
a fresh easy to prepare salad of avocados and calamari with a deicius fresh lime dressing, makes a great starter or light lunch. wonderful fresh Asian flavours.
- olive oil or peanut oil, for shallow frying
- 500 g baby calamari, tubes cleaned
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 whole spring onions, sliced
- 1 red chili pepper, sliced
- 200 g fresh bean sprouts
- 2 large firm avocados, peeled and cut into blocks
- 2 granny smith apples, skin on, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons coriander, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil, roughly torn
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 5 ml sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Slit the calamari tubes open and make shallow cuts in a diamond.
- pattern across the inside flesh.
- In a glass bowl, mix the calamari, brown sugar and fish sauce.
- Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a heavy based frypan and very.
- quickly fry the calamari in small batches and set aside about 3-4 minutes, the dressing will finish off the cooking.
- Toss the calamari together with all the remaining ingredients except.
- the avocado which you can lightly mix in at the end.