Recipe by swathi
Aviyal is a dish that has a unique place in a typical Kerala(S.India)Cuisine. It is a thick mixture of a lot vegetables, curd and coconut. It is seasoned with coconut oil and curry leaves. Aviyal is considered an essential part of the Sadhya.
- 250 g mixed vegetables
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups desiccated coconut
- 5 -8 green chilies
- 3 -4 tablespoons curds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
Directions See How It's Made
- All vegetables go in it, except perhaps, some mushy vegetables, like, ladies fingers, cabbage, cauliflower, beetroot (it stains the dish), radish, turnip, onion, sweet potato, etc.
- Usually used are drumstick, Brinjal,Yam,String beans, Raw plantain,Cucumber,Potato,Ash gourd.
- Wash and cut all the vegetables lengthwise into 2" pieces(stick shape).
- Boil the vegetables until just done, with turmeric powder and salt.
- One should be careful not to overcook the vegetables: they should remain crisp.(There are some vegetables which cook very fast and some which take a long time.
- Keep adding the vegetables to the boiling water according to the cooking time, the longer cooking vegetables first and the quicker ones last).
- Grind the coconut with green chillies, without using water.
- Drain the vegetables.
- Put them in a wide mouthed large pan in mild heat, add the coconut mixture, beaten curds, curry leaves and coconut oil and gently toss for few minutes, until all the vegetables are coated with coconut and coconut oil.
- If using a spoon, be careful not to mash the vegetables.
- Remove from heat add fresh curry leaves.