1/2 Photos of Avid's Osso Bucco
David made this for us when we came to visit in Toronto, Canada. It is a savory veal stew. Ellen made a rice pilaf, and I steamed broccoli and cauliflower to go with it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups veal stock
- 4 (1/4 lb) veal shank (meaty cross-cut, osso buco)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions (2 cups, diced)
- 2 medium carrots (1 cup, cut into rounds)
- 2 celery ribs (1 cup, diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (mashed and diced)
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes (coarsely chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1Put oven rack in the middle position of a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven.
- 2Bring veal stock to a simmer in 1 quart saucepan over moderate heat, keep warm and partially covered.
- 3Pat shanks dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 4Dredge shanks in flour to coat, shaking off excess.
- 5Heat olive oil in a 5 or 6 quart wide heavy ovenproof pot over moderatly high heat, until just smoking, then brown shanks on all sides.
- 6Simmer in stock for 2-1/2 hours.
- 7Saute onions, carrots, and celery in the butter and add to the veal.
- 8Add tomatoes and rest of ingredients and simmer another 30 minutes.
Nutritional Facts for Avid's Osso Bucco
Serving Size: 1 (550 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 434.3
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 107.9 mg
- Sodium 792.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 25.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: