Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Diane Seed's Mediterranean Dishes. Classic avgolemono ranks up there as one of the world's best soups.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs leeks, thinly sliced
- 4 large celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh chicken stock
- 1 lemon, juice of, to taste
- 2 eggs
- white pepper
- fresh dill (optional)
- In a stock pot saute the leeks and celery in olive oil until softened. Add the chicken stock and simmer 20 minutes. Puree the mixture with an immersion blender.
- Just before serving, beat the lemon juice and eggs together until light and frothy. Slowly beat a ladleful of hot soup into the egg and lemon mixture, stir well, then whisk back into the soup pot.
- Stir the soup well to make sure the eggs are incorporated so that they do not curdle.
- Adjust seasoning, add salt and pepper and serve warm. Garnish each serving with fresh dill if desired.
This was my first attempt at avgolemono soup and I was very pleased with the results. The flavor and texture are wonderful. I really liked the addition of the fresh dill; next time I will mix some dill in the soup as well as for garnish. Thanx for introducing me to a great soup.