Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A classic and flavorful soup, originating in Greece.
Make and share this Avgolemono Soup (Greek Egg-Lemon Soup) recipe from Food.com.
- Stir the milk and cornstarch together and beat in the egg yolks.
- Set aside.
- Bring the stock to boil in a 4 quart soup pot and add the rice.
- Cook, covered, until the rice is puffy and tender, about 25 min.
- Remove the soup from heat, add milk and egg mixture, stirring carefully.
- Continue to cook for a moment until all thickens.
- Remove from the heat again and add the butter, chopped parsley, lemon juice, and finely grated lemon peel.
- Note: the amount of lemon juice in this recipe has been halved from its original 1 cup amount.
- (An adopted recipe.)
Great recipe! It was so easy to make this wonderful soup!
i did not try this, but just a suggestion that i like. The greek deli by my house makes the best avgolemono soup i've had. They put chunks of chicken in it along with chopped celery and use orzo rather than rice. The orzo is delicious in this.
Great recipe, it was a bit thicker than I wanted so I may use a little less milk next time. I added some white pepper and chopped celery, which was a hit!