Recipe by ..tiffany..
This is my favorite soup ever. I've loved it since I was a little girl. I think this is the closest recipe to the authentic greek restaurants.
Top Review by muffinlady
My oh My this is awesome. Even though for my diet I had to change some things. I think It would be better as- is. I could not find my lemon so Used lime and added enough lemon concentrate to make up for the lack also I had to half recipe because of no lemon. I used chicken bouillon and water as I am not suppose to use chicken stock. I hope That was a good substitution I don't think it has fat in it. And I left out the butter.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 egg yolks
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 large lemon, zest of
- sliced pita bread, on the side
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine milk, corn starch, egg yolks. Set aside.
- Boil the chicken stock in a large soup pot (4 quart is good). Once the stock is boiling, add the orzo pasta and let it cook covered for 9-12 minutes (until pasta is tender).
- When pasta is tender, remove the pot from the heat and add the egg mixture and butter. Stir slowly until it all blends together.
- Return the pot back to the heat and continue to cook the soup. It will thicken slightly.
- Remove from the heat again and add the lemon juice and lemon peel.
- Serve with pita bread.