Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From "Good Home Cookbook"
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 2⁄3 cup long-grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring the broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce the heat and add the chicken breast with half the zest. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the chicken, let cool, then thinly slice.
- Return the broth to a boil and add the rice. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, until the rice is tender. Return the chicken to the soup and simmer.
- Whisk the remaining zest, lemon juice, and egg yolks in a small bowl. Gradually add about 1 cup of hot soup to the lemon juice mixture. Very slowly stir this mixture into the simmering soup, continuing to stir until the soup thickens.
- Stir in the mint, oregano, parsley, and pepper. Season to taste with salt and serve immediately.