Recipe by Cosima
One of the most delicious, thick, rich, creamy smoothies I've ever had! "Avena" means "oats." I got this recipe from the book Simply Delicioso, by Ingrid Hoffman.
Top Review by CoffeeB
I had high expectations for this as I am an oatmeal freak. But, after giving the mixture a whirl with my hand-held braun, I still didn't care for the consistency of the drink. I kept thinking I needed to warm it up to make it taste better. Not saying the taste was bad, just not what I wanted in a smoothie. I have in the past added just a touch of oatmeal to other smoothie recipes I've made, but where it wasn't the main ingredient. This just wasn't right for me. I'm glad I gave it a go for NewKids on the Block Tag Game!~
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 6 cups milk, plus more if needed
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus more to taste
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the oatmeal and milk in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a rapid simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring constantly, until the oatmeal is thick, about 10 minutes. Add sugar and cinnamon to taste and set the oatmeal aside to cool slightly.
- Transfer the oatmeal to a container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Strain the liquid, add the vanilla (if using), and add more milk if you want it thinner. Serve cold.