A famous restaurant here in Peoria serves a submarine-style sandwich on this bread, called a "Gondola" (sliced salami, ham, American cheese, lettuce & tomato). This bread is on the sweet side, and is also good served on the side with any Italian dish, from spagetti to lasagna & everything in between.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water; add remaining ingredients& knead for approximately 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth& elastic.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to bring greased side up.
- Cover with a cloth& let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until dough has doubled in bulk (1 1/2 to 2 hours).
- After first rising, punch dough down in bowl& turn over; let rise again until double (30-45 minutes).
- Cut dough into 5 to 6 portions, each about the size of a grapefruit.
- Let rise, covered for 10 minutes.
- Flatten dough, pressing out all the air, and form into long loaves, about 12" long.
- Place loaves on greased& floured cookie sheets; cover& let rise again (50-60 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake loaves for 20-25 minutes, until tops are golden brown& loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
FANTASTIC!!!!!!! I used to live in Peoria years ago - but was back there on business about 5 years ago and went to Avanti's - what a treat to get this recipe! Thank you so much- it was PERFECT! Thanks again!
This is the real deal. I worked at Avantis and opened the store in 1973 with Guido, the owner in Normal, Il. I have baked 10s of thousands of loaves of this bread. I worked there over 4 years, mainly as a bread maker. I am in possession of Guido's hand-written, 40 year old recipe for this bread. This recipe is as close as you can get at home to the bread in the restaurant. I get requests all the time for this bread at holidays, it is legend and loved by everyone I have served it to. You will love and enjoy this recipe too. Thanks Mary for posting, you done good!
its the only reason i go back to Galesburg Illinois.I love this bread... Gotta try the gondola sub on the sweet garlic bread.my daughter is hooked now too