1/3 Photos of Avanti's Bread
4 hrs 25 mins
Mary Scheffert's Note:
A famous restaurant here in Peoria serves a submarine-style sandwich on this bread, called a "Gondola" (sliced salami, ham, American cheese, lettuce & tomato). This bread is on the sweet side, and is also good served on the side with any Italian dish, from spagetti to lasagna & everything in between.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve yeast in warm water; add remaining ingredients& knead for approximately 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth& elastic.
- 2Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to bring greased side up.
- 3Cover with a cloth& let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until dough has doubled in bulk (1 1/2 to 2 hours).
- 4After first rising, punch dough down in bowl& turn over; let rise again until double (30-45 minutes).
- 5Cut dough into 5 to 6 portions, each about the size of a grapefruit.
- 6Let rise, covered for 10 minutes.
- 7Flatten dough, pressing out all the air, and form into long loaves, about 12" long.
- 8Place loaves on greased& floured cookie sheets; cover& let rise again (50-60 minutes).
- 9Preheat oven to 350F.
- 10Bake loaves for 20-25 minutes, until tops are golden brown& loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Avanti's Bread
Serving Size: 1 (2422 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1023.2
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 432.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 201.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 42.2 g
- Protein 25.6 g