Recipe by CatlingMex
I tweaked a recipe from "Good Housekeeping" and came up with this satisfying, nutritious, low-fat meatless soup. I use Rotel brand diced tomatoes & green chilies for the 10-oz. can of tomatoes.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium parsnips
- 1 mediim onion
- 1 (29 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the carrots and parsnips, and cut them into 1/2 -inch slices.
- Drain the beans, reserving liquid.
- Heat oil in a soup pot and sautee the onion, carrots, and parsnips for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. While that's cooking, mash about half of the beans, using a potato or bean masher.
- Once the vegetables start to brown, add the mashed beans, whole beans, bean liquid, chili powder, both kinds of tomatoes, and about 3 cups water. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, until vegetables are tender and soup is of desired thickness. (Let reduce longer for thicker chili, add water for thinner chili.).
- Serve in bowls and sprinkle with chopped cilantro and shredded cheese, if desired.