I tweaked a recipe from "Good Housekeeping" and came up with this satisfying, nutritious, low-fat meatless soup. I use Rotel brand diced tomatoes & green chilies for the 10-oz. can of tomatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel the carrots and parsnips, and cut them into 1/2 -inch slices.
- 2Drain the beans, reserving liquid.
- 3Heat oil in a soup pot and sautee the onion, carrots, and parsnips for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. While that's cooking, mash about half of the beans, using a potato or bean masher.
- 4Once the vegetables start to brown, add the mashed beans, whole beans, bean liquid, chili powder, both kinds of tomatoes, and about 3 cups water. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, until vegetables are tender and soup is of desired thickness. (Let reduce longer for thicker chili, add water for thinner chili.).
- 5Serve in bowls and sprinkle with chopped cilantro and shredded cheese, if desired.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Autumn Vegetable Chili
Serving Size: 1 (1834 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.3
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 359.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.7 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 20.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: