Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are delicious muffins with a unique ingredient... crystallized ginger! They're perfect on a crisp Autumn morning, or anytime for that matter. They're also dairy-free and low-fat! The recipe is from Mags2003 on the IBS message boards at www.helpforibs.com.
- 414.03 ml all-purpose flour
- 177.44 ml firmly packed light brown sugar
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground ginger
- 177.44 ml mashed baked sweet potatoes, cooled or 177.44 ml canned pumpkin
- 118.29 ml room temperature soymilk or 118.29 ml rice milk or 118.29 ml milk
- 4 egg whites or 2 eggs, at room temperature,lightly beaten
- 44.37 ml canola oil
- 7.39 ml vanilla
- 59.14-78.07 ml finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly coat 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift and whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ground ginger.
- In another bowl, stir together sweet potato or pumpkin, soy milk, egg whites, oil, and vanilla until blended.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients; add milk mixture and stir just to combine.
- Stir in crystallized ginger.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of one muffin comes out clean.
- Remove muffin pan to wire rack.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing muffins from cups; finish cooling on rack.
- Serve warm or cool completely and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
I made these with pumpkin and they turned out great. Not too sweet or cakey, which is how I like my muffins for breakfast. The only changes I made was substituting one of the cups of flour for whole wheat flour and used pre-mixed pumpkin pie spice for the spices. I DID NOT leave out the crystalized ginger! That stuff is great.
This recipe makes for a different kind of pumpkin muffin. I used 3/4 cups of whole wheat flour and replaced 2/3 of the oil with applesauce. Also, I increased the cinnamon to 3/4 tsp. This recipe will definitely be made again.
nothing more to say..because the others said it all..fantastic muffins..made them just as another had..fat free because wife is on weight watchers..and they turned out super..Thanks