Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A earthy and comforting vegan stew with little dumplings, red kidney beans and a good array of fall vegetables. Awesome with a glass of cabernet sauvignon.
- 1 big white onion, diced
- 1 big leek, washed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 medium sized carrots, peeled and cut in half cross wise
- 2 big waxy potatoes, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 small rutabaga, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 medium sized parsnips, peeled and cut in half cross wise
- 2 cups cooked red kidney beans
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 juniper berries, cracked
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1⁄3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a dutch oven, sweat the onion, the leek and the garlic together on medium heat.
- Add the vegetables, the kidney beans,the broth, the juniper berries, the rosemary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the lid on and bake for 2 hours.
- Raise oven temperature to 350°F Remove pot from the oven.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, the baking powder, the salt and the thyme. Add the margarine and mix until crumbly. Add the water and mix until it's combined together.
- Divide dough into 20 little balls, roll them and put them over the stew. Cover with the lid and return to oven for 30 minutes. DO NOT REMOVE THE LID IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE DURING COOKING PROCESS.