- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 orange, zest of
- 2 small butternut squash or 2 small acorn squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups chicken stock (or broth) or 4 cups vegetable stock (or broth)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter over low heat. Stir in leeks and cook until softened.
- Add zest, squash, and nutmeg; stir for 2 minutes. Add stock; bring to a boil. Simmer over medium heat, covered, until squash is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Puree in a food processor or blender (do in two batches). Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.