Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Found this recipe on line and hope to try it as an alternate dessert option for Thanksgiving this year.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Preheat oven to 350°F; line two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper and lightly butter.
- Beat butter, shortening, and sugars together until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until smooth and light.
- Stir the buttermilk and vanilla together. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and spices together in a large bowl.
- Alternately stir the flour mixture and buttermilk, in thirds, into the beaten butter. Blend well with each addition.
- Pour batter into the pans and bake until center tests clean -- about 35 minutes. Cool cakes in the pans on a rack for 30 minutes, unmold, and cool completely before frosting (if desired).