Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Whats better on a chill and blustery day, when the red and gold leaves are on the ground, than a hearty and steaming bowl of soup!.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 small turnip, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- 14.79 ml tomato puree
- 828.08 ml beef stock
- 56.69 g red lentils
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 170.09 g pork sausage
- 28.34 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2.46 ml chopped fresh rosemary or 4.92 ml dried rosemary
- 1 cooking apple
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 1 large potato, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- snipped chives, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole. Add the onion, carrots, swede and green pepper and fry.
- gently for 3 minutes until the vegetables are soft but not coloured.
- 2 Stir in the tomato puree, stock and lentils, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are just tender.
- Meanwhile, put the sausagemeat, breadcrumbs and rosemary in a.
- bowl. Mix thoroughly with your hands, then shape into 12 small balls.
- Peel and core the apple, then cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch) dice. Add with the cinnamon to the soup potato and sausagemeat balls and simmer for a further 25 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, then serve hot, sprinkled with chives.
Great tasting soup! Son wonderfully flavorful, although I was hesitant, at first, about adding the apple & cinnamon, but everything blended in so well! Will be making this soup again & again this winter! Many thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]