Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Plain and simple. This soup has no spice in it, gets its flavor from the farmer sausage and green pepper.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs farmer sausage (smoked)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced rutabagas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 5 cups beef stock
- 3⁄4 cup kidney bean
- 1 (5 ounce) can tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Cut sausage into 1 inch pieces, then in half again.
- In a frying pan heat oil cook sausages for 3 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes cook for 2 minutes set aside.
- In a large soup pot add beef stock, carrots celery, rutabaga, onion.
- Boil 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add sausage, potatoes,kidney beans, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add green pepper and parsley simmer another 5 minutes.
We really loved this soup! I used a can each of kidney beans and black beans. I did miss a little spice so added a little chili powder and one diced jalapeno. I also cheated a little by using lower fat chicken sausage. I can't say how much we love a rutabaga, I always sub them for potato in soups and stews, my son thinks they're yellow potatos! Definately comfort food.
My family loved this soup. I went with what I had on hand, so I used about 1/4 of the sausage(turkey sausage), and 1/3 of the tomato paste. I skipped the beans and added extra potatoes. This is easy and is full of flavour. Thanks for the recipe.
A great recipe for a cold day! I made a couple of changes - only because I did not have the ingredients; I used a red pepper instead of a green pepper & I did not have any celery, so I added a leek instead. It was very tasty and a change from spicy soups - the sausage made it a one pot meal. I served it with French bread. A keeper, I don't know why it has not been reviewed before now!