1/1 Photo of Autumn Sausage Casserole (In the Crock Pot )
4 hrs 20 mins
Easy peasy recipe adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking. After looking through the reviews at her blog, I see that cooks who used a 6.5 quart crock pot had problems with this cooking too much. My crock pot is a 4 quart size and I have not experienced that problem. I do think the stirring is a good suggestion and have changed the directions accordingly. You could use any sausage you want but the sausage does need to be partially cooked or smoked. Try chicken with artichokes, chicken with apple, kielbaska, Italian, andouille, or whatever sausage your family enjoys. This uses LEFTOVER rice so plan for that. I love leftovers. :) This could be gluten free if you are very careful with your choice of sausage.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces or 1 1/2 cups carrots
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 lb sausage, sliced into bite size pieces
- 2 large apples, chopped (no need to peel)
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 15 ounces black beans, drained
- 1If you are going to use uncooked sausage, brown on the stove top, and drain before adding to the crockpot.
- 2Otherwise, line your 4 quart sized crock pot with a slow cooker liner, dump ingredients into the crock, and stir well.
- 3Cover and cook on low for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or until the orange vegetable is tender.
- 4STIR once during the cooking time. I have not made this on high but am guessing an hour with more frequent stirring.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Autumn Sausage Casserole (In the Crock Pot )
Serving Size: 1 (574 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 823.6
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 65.8 mg
- Sodium 1131.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.0 g
- Sugars 26.1 g
- Protein 26.3 g