Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this recipe from and friend and it is my favorite salad. I like to use a lot more sugar than the recipe calls for - About 2-3 tablespoons, but I'll leave the recipe as written and you can sweeten to taste. I also like to use pecans in place of the walnuts.
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon fresley ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (can use dried)
- 1⁄2 medium sweet onion
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil (light tasting)
- salt and pepper
- 2 bunches romaine lettuce, salad torn
- 1 granny smith apple, sliced thin
- 1 gala apples, sliced thin (Honey Crisp or Fugi)
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese (to taste)
- Nuts: Preheat oven tp 350 degrees.
- Combine walnuts and butter in glass baking dish.
- Bake 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Combine sugar and pepper and toss warm walnuts in mixture to coat.
- Let cool and store in jar in fridge.
- Dressing: Blend all ingredients, except oin in processor or blender. With it running, slowly add oil. (may be refrigerated, but bring to room temp to serve).
- Salad: Assemble and toss with dressing right before serving. (You will have dressing left over) To keep apples from turning brown, place slices in a zip lock with a little lemon juice and water and shake.
Excellent. I used salted butter, regular vinegar and no sweet onion as I didn't have any but know that would have made it excellent. I used baby romaine lettuce leaves and a good Macintosh apple as I thought I had Gala but I didn't. The feta cheese I used was made from goats milk (better). Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup Game (Jan - June '10).