Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a mild soup that I love to make near Thanksgiving--it's easy to make, filling, but not heavy. It takes well to added spices. From the November 2000 issue of "Bon Appetit", it can be made one day ahead. I usually make an easy pasta sauce with leftover crushed tomatoes.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 5 cups canned chicken broth (or more)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄2 cup crushed tomatoes, with added puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and bell pepper; saute until soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add curry powder and stir 1 minute.
- Add broth and next 4 ingredients; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with grated cheddar cheese.