Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a great recipe for chilly fall nights. I also make it for Halloween night, and my kids even eat the vegetables when I prepare this, as they love pumpkin. This recipe came from a school cookbook.
- 1 (8 lb) pumpkin
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- Wash pumpkin, cut off top and scrape out seeds and stringy portion and discard.
- Cook ground beef slightly and drain off fat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute lightly.
- Add seasonings and tomato juice.
- Heat through.
- Mix with uncooked rice.
- Layer 1/3 each of the cabbage, potatoes, rice and meat mixture in pumpkin.
- Repeat layers and replace lid.
- Bake at 350' for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until done.
- Pumpkin is done when it is soft when pierced with a fork.