Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I enjoy making this meal in the fall and winter. It's a nice blend of fall flavors for the season.
- 6 pork chops
- 2 medium acorn squash, unpeeled
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon browning sauce, bouquet sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange peel, grated
- Trim excess fat from chops, making them as lean as possible.
- Cut each squash into 4 or 5 crosswise slices.
- With a knife, remove seed ring from centers.
- Arrange 3 chops on bottom of slow cooking pot.
- Place all squash slices on top.
- Then layer remaining chops over squash.
- Combine salt, butter, sugar, bouquet sauce, orange juice, and orange peel in large measuring cup and mix well.
- Pour over chops.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or until chops are done.
- Serve 1 or 2 slices of squash with each chop.
- Variation: replace squash with sweet potatoes or yams.
I enjoyed the flavor of this dish, but didn't think the sauce thickened up enough. Next time I'd use some cornstarch or something to thicken it.